Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Update #2 Honduras

It was hot today. The internet said 95, but a teacher today said it hit over 100. It felt like you stuck your head in the oven to see in the pizza is ready yet. Everything is hot, the schools, the vans, the bedrooms until about 3 a.m....then it's freezing (go figure).

Needless to say, today may have been the toughest day I've experienced in a log time on mission trips. Dirty, hot, scorching sun with no shade, and tiresome.

The teams did great, but we are zapped of everything. Tonight's rest will be good. And, because of a teacher's strike, we will start a little later tomorrow (7:30 a.m. in stead of 5:45)

- - -

Memorable moment: We were at a GodMan presentation tonight in the middle of Honduras Nowhereland. The van drivers got lost, I was alone in a truck with a pastor who doesn't speak much English, and I had no idea where we were or when I would see the rest of my team. The pastor's cell phone was dead, and I leaned against the truck hoping two white vans would come down our dirt road that use to be a train track.

Anyway, finally everyone arrived and we passed out movie invitations to the few homes in the area. Students didn't invitations to this GodMan because it was too far from any school we were in. Although it was suppose to start at 6:30 as the ticket said, at 7 p.m. there were a handful of people. At 7:15 we just decided to begin the presentation. By 7:30 it was pack (250 people) and there were no chairs left for anyone to come in and watch the movie.

There were three boys who stood outside the door...looking in, but would not come in. When we tried to bring them in, they refused because they didn't have any shoes. No shoes.

Book of Hope Missionary Liz McMahan (click for Xanga) heard them say they wouldn't go in because they had no shoes. She, without a moment's hesitation, took her shoes off, put them on the dirt road next to the boys, and told them they could have them to go into the church. One boy refused, but another went in barefoot right along with Liz. This is Jesus stuff. Take off your shoes and offer them to someone who has none. Wow.

- - -
No pics tonight, I don't have my cord with me.

- - -
Love my family...tell them all hi for me. I saw a huggies bath wash soap commercial in spanish tonight and realized how much I miss them.

1 Comments:

At 22/6/06 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey travis it sounds like you are having a really good time in honduras so keep up the good work and tell ash i said hi
-alex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home